Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year and Holidays Catch-Up Post


This will mostly be a belated catch-up post of my holidays. I hope everyone had a awesome holidays like I did! Wishing all my readers, clients, stockists and friends the best for the New Year!

 I really took advantage of my Christmas holidays in 2011. It feels strange saying last year because it seems like it was so long ago yet I still remember it. I made a list of what I wanted to do and accomplished most of it. To top it off my University grades were awesome - very awesome for a person who balances a PT job, full-time university, and a fashion business. I was surprised. 

But, I know my perseverance has been very high since the whole debacle with my former business partner. I almost have to thank her for giving me a better view of my priorities - because without the bullshit and drama I wouldn’t have been this successful. Sometimes, I wonder what she took from the experience. I certainly learned I was stronger than I thought I was. That I can conquer my fears. :)

It makes me so proud to say that my brand has been carried by six local boutiques. 

Even prouder is the fact I did it by myself mostly in under 7 months as soon as I launched Quaintrella. There has to be something said about that and not letting people tell me: ‘You can’t do this..’, ‘You can’t sell better then this person..’, ‘You need this…’. If I faced an obstacle I just told myself to take it as an experience and learn from it. I don’t let anyone bring me down in the process. Yes, it’s been difficult and testing at times. But, I did it. 

I was recently told my unwavering attitude is what makes me different. It came up in a discussion with a co-worker about a mutual friend who was unable to find a job in her field. I told my co-worker this:

“If I can’t find a job in my field then I’d make my own. I don’t believe in being told I am not good enough.”



Sometimes, economic conditions are bad. Everyone has a degree but no one can find a job. But, we all come out of University and College with skills that make us very employable. One of them is the tenacity to stick at a 4-5 year long education. Sometimes, I feel that University and College teaches us to essentially work for someone else. You don’t have to. 

If I couldn’t find a job in my field I would first try internships, volunteering, and even exploring my passions (like my brand Quaintrella). I would not settle for less and most of all I would utilize my education to perhaps evens start my own company. I study Environmental Studies in the Ecological Management stream but all my courses have been on a business slant. I would attempt to harness that into consulting businesses on their sustainability practices and it’s effects on their branding. 

I don’t trust an education enough to bring me just a job as soon as I graduate. Sure, I look forward to graduation in 1.5 years but I know that the economy is also being brought down with the meltdown in the EU zone. I know everyone will be effected and I can already see the results slowly happening. But, there’s always an under appreciated market waiting to be exploited. Find it and make it your own. 

Some of us might feel entitled after our expensive educations. At the end of the day that’s just a paper you get. You have to go out there and make it worth it. To experience it on the forefront. Don’t turn down the opportunities to see it at every angle and when it comes to deciding never settle for less then your worth. Because, we are all worth more then we think. 

My New Year’s Resolutions will probably be posted later on. It’s a huge list and I hope I can accomplish all that I have set out for myself. :)

Anyways, done with my rant and on to pretty pictures!

My first Christmas tree. The real deal. Not the tiny thing my parents used to have. 




Visited The Distillery District’s Lowes Christmas Market. Saw this as I went to my PT job’s Christmas Party and was entranced by the atmosphere and ended up going back with my family the last day of the event. It was gorgeous and well worth the cold weather. The Distillery District is a portion of Toronto where heritage buildings of old factories still exist but revamped into boutiques and studios. Gorgeous area and the vendors at the Christmas Market all were located in these tiny log cabins. Even better was the ferris wheel and merry-go-round. I will definitely be going again next year because it really embodies the best of the holiday season. 






No comments: