Wednesday, September 14, 2011

TIFF Party - John Varvatos Fashion Show at Ultra Supper Club

Part of a going through a 'Quarter-Life' crisis made me realize many things. 

One of them was that University does not prepare you for the real world. The real world is many things but most importantly it is a world full of social networks. I'm not talking about Twitter, Facebook, MySpace...etc. But rather the social network of who you know and who they know. I want to pursue a career in the fashion industry but it's a industry full of contacts, acquaintances, friends, and who you can connect with. In order to get opportunities you have to network. 

In fashion one of the best ways to do this is to attend parties.

It just seemed like fate that a couple weeks before I was invited to a Holt Renfrew "You've been Coveteur'd" After Party hosted by a childhood acquaintance and former ELLE UK intern.  She invited me and then I invited a few people from my 'Passion for Fashion' workshop. I even bumped into my rather famous publicist instructor who mans the workshop. It is a different world - especially for someone as tame as myself. I like to say the only club I have been to is a book club. Hahaha. 

Two nights ago, I attended another party. This one was a TIFF Party - John Varvatos Fashion Show at Ultra Supper Club. I would like to thank my new publicist-in-trainng friend, Ranu, for telling us about this party. I'm determined to cross the boundaries of just 'fashion' based networking since I believe fashion is a lot more then clothes. I brought some friends from outside the industry and thank god my friend, Veruca, brought a camera! Most of these pictures are from her camera. :) Thank you, Veruca! 

I highly recommend you visit her awesome fashion blog: http://www.verucacyn.com

I wore my new dress I ordered off Taobao from the supplier of Japanese Gyaru brand, Snidel. It's gorgeous! I bought it in pink, too! I love Snidel because it combines my love of Mori aesthetic with a romantic and girly silhouette. I'll be writing a review about my first experiences using Taobaospree and ordering from direct suppliers. 


Me, Antonio, and Veruca. You can tell we both do distinctly Asian poses and expressions.

Me and Ranu. She wearing such an aweeeesssooomeee shirt - the collar is so unique.

Taken from my iPhone. Me and Veruca.

Me and my close friend, Em. I'm holding a John Frieda swag bag - this seems to be the norm at big fashion parties. Ah, I have such a fatty face. I love Em's swanky pose. :)

Group photo of half of the people that came. We are missing the 4 other people. 





No comments: